Friday, November 19, 2010

Wonderful Night at DSA Open Mic, Nov.


Last night was great. It was fantastic. It's what music is about. It's why the DSA is a special place for people who love and feel music. Last night was art.

I was late. I was host, but I got to Dunn Bros just minutes before we were scheduled to start. I worried about having to kick off by doing 6 songs in a row, because I had zero sign ups, at the same time realizing that I wasn't sure what song I would do first. I looked at my harmonicas sitting in waiting on a table several steps away and decided to do one without them, to get things rolling without further delay. So I did a song about cats. It went over like a hair ball.

That was an omen. When you start at the bottom, you can only climb up.

After the next song, I gave up the mic to Chad, a friend and writing buddy of Trevor's. Chad's good, and things were starting to pick up. Next was Trevor, who carried a new (to me) guitar. Looks like Trevor and I both have GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome).

Trevor did two songs, then he did something different. He put his guitar down flat on the floor, picked up a harmonica, stood up and slammed a new song about Christmas. I say slammed, because he sang/spoke the song au copula, with a little harmonica between verses. He got a long, sustained applause. The karma had shifted. We were on our way to an extraordinary Thursday night.

Barbe had talked Devin from Dunn Bros into playing, and he hadn't performed his songs in a while. Even had to borrow my guitar, making me wish I had changed my strings last week. Devin's songs were wonderful, but then he went off track for a cover of Pink Floyd's 'Welcome To The Machine'. And for this he brought up Rolland, whom he called 'The Human Beat Machine'. So, while Devin played and sang, Rolland spit beats. You can hear an earlier version by them on YouTube at:

You can hear Rolland and Devin again Dec. 1 at Dunn Bros 1st Wednesday Open Mic.

The whole night, Dixon had been sitting with Mary, Paul and Barbe, soaking up the vibe, just beaming. To his credit, he didn't leave after Rolland and Devin, because he was next, and they were tough to follow. Instead, he delivered some beautiful, original Christmas music. Dixon has a great voice, perfect for his songs. But after a few tunes, he seemed to waive me up for a quick consultation. Now I understand he was waiving to Rolland. They did an impromptu Marvin Gaye tune "What's Going On" with Dixon on guitar and vocals and Rolland spitting beats. All I can say is "Mother mother, there's too many of you crying...." Gorgeous.

What was I supposed to do after that? Well, I had a play, so I threw down my ace and called up Scott Fant. After a couple of songs, Barbe sidled up to me and told me "You should ask Scott to sing a few more songs." Too late, Barbe, I already had.

Do yourself a favor and go hear some Scott Fant right now at the link below.


You can also hear him, Scott Sean White and others this Sunday at Memphis in Addison.

After Scott, Chad came back up and sang the dark Christmas song that Trevor had slammed.

So, why do I love the DSA?

Visit Dallas Songwriters on Facebook to see some photos from last night.

See you at the Christmas party. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment